12/15/2013

Boys Do Cry

Most boys don't cry often, or so I thought.

I have never seen my dad cry, so I have always lived with the idea that men don't cry. I vividly remember the day my dad got a phone call about his mother's death. His face stayed expressionless and remained calm throughout the phone call but if you knew him well, you would have known that he was screaming inside. I wonder why my dad didn't cry in front of us. Was it because he didn't have a great relationship with his mother? Was it because we were there? Or was it just because?
That day was the saddest I have ever seen my dad but it's ironic because I did not see him shed a single tear.

I like to believe it is not because of the masculine portrayal of men that has led to this 'boys don't/shouldn't cry' idea. I think people are entitled to cry about their sufferings or for other people's sufferings, whether male or female.

When I see boys crying in movies, I always find it somehow appealing. Possibly due to the vulnerability of a boy you don't often see that breaks the ''masculine/feminine'' barrier.  Possibly because I then think, ''Boys aren't all dicks and they do have emotions and a squishy unstable heart and they can get really sensitive wow  awww.'' 

I try to refrain myself from categorising things as masculine or feminine because they are like synonyms for strong and weak (although I do have a weakness of describing clothes in my wardrobe as androgynous oops!). 

My question is: If a male and female watched a movie with the most tragic ending and they both felt the same level of sadness, would they both be crying? 

Are boys just bad at expressing themselves? Or are they afraid? 

(aww he looks so vulnerable I just want to give him a hug)



(In The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Charlie cried a lot and I admit I did like him more because of that the reason being that I felt like I was Sam and I could help him.)





(A reason why I realised not all boys are dicks - he's crying over a sick child with malaria)



Did your heart shatter into a million of  pieces? Because mine just did. (Thanks Tumblr)

Crying While Eating a Burger

No comments:

Post a Comment